Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pathetic brothers...

You'll have to excuse my language in this post. I'm pretty angry about what happens all the time, and even more angry at myself for not having the balls to speak up about it.

Today, my older brother took us (my 18 year old brother and I) to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. We haven't been in a while, and we were all craving steak. So, we went, and the girl at the door had a slight speech impediment (like maybe she had hearing impairment or a palate problem). It was hardly noticeable because all she did was open the door and welcome us in. But as soon as we sat down at the table, they gave each other that look that was pretty much a silent laugh between the two of them.

Then, our waitress comes over. Now, I'll admit, she was very pretty, and the makeup wasn't hurting either (if you can stand heavy black eyeliner on your face, I tend to rub it off by noon). Of course, boys that they are, my oldest brother ("C") goes, "Damn, she's hot." So, she took our order and walked away. She came back with Sprite for us all, and it tasted like sour seltzer water, like it was from the bottom of the soda canister. OK, granted, that happens, but they wouldn't ask her to take it back and order something else because "she's too hot." Nasty soda isn't her fault, just tell her politely that it tastes funny, and switch soda... Not difficult, and not offensive...

She then brought our food out. She forgot my older brother's garlic mashed potatoes, and my younger brother's ("D") ketchup. C was hesitant to tell her about the potatoes because "she's hot." He didn't want to complain because "she's hot." But I got him to eventually, and she was great about it. She brought out a big bowl of potatoes.

So, of course, that set him off. "She wants me, so she brought me extra." "She thinks I'm hot." "She's gonna hop on my dick later." "She wants to suck it." Now, seriously, waitresses get paid to smile and be friendly and flirt a little bit. It's how they get good feedback, and it's how they get tips.

I cannot tell you how many times I heard sexually-based comments about that waitress throughout dinner. So, when we were slowing down, I just asked C randomly, "So, if she wasn't hot, you would have objected to what she served you?" His answer: "yep."

C seriously does base his treatment of people on how attractive they are to him. He doesn't like girls who don't have pretty faces, he doesn't like girls who are a little heavier than the average person you see these days, he doesn't like girls who don't wear tight clothes, he doesn't like girls who are prudes (but he expects his female consorts to be virgins, because any girl who has previously had sex is a slut)... Basically, he is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I can't say shit about it, because he would do nothing but harass me after that. It just pisses me off that MY BROTHER is exactly like every other male chauvenist out there. I mean, I've taken Women's Studies courses, and he's the type of guy all the girls hate. He's shallow, self-absorbed, and sneaky (not mysterious, SNEAKY). He would never actually approach a girl and say these things, or even hit on her, but he'll make degrading comments at his leisure when she can't hear.

Damn it, man, respect people, for crying out loud! You want to check a girl out? Go right ahead and look (hey, I said look, not stare). Don't tell me she's going to hop on your dick and ride you like a rodeo queen later.

You just don't have the balls for that, bro.

No comments: